Saturday, November 1, 2014

October Horror Movie Challenge- Day 31


The last day started with Dear Dead Delilah (1972). It's an average slasher involving a matriarch of a wealthy southern family and her relatives that are trying to find her hidden inheritance. It wasn't bad, but it was a bit slow for me. 6 out of 12 beers.






Next up was movie number seventy-five, Demon Wind (1990). I vividly remember seeing the box for this back in the day, but for whatever reason I never rented it. My initial thought was that it was a film about what happens when you fart on Halloween, however it turns out that it involves a group of friends who go to check out a house that one of them has inherited and find out that they can't leave. The land is cursed by something or other and demons start popping out of the woodwork, possessing their friends, and just causing a lot of mayhem in general. Demon Wind had a lot of cool practical effects that kept me entertained, but a pretty forgettable story. 7 out of 12 beers.






Not satisfied with just seventy-five movies, I decided to make it an even seventy-six with Wicked, Wicked (1973). Wicked, Wicked is the first and only movie ever filmed in Duo-Vision, which is really just split-screen. The plot concerns a hotel in which a murderer is killing blondes that check in and making it look like they skipped out on their bill. It's pretty typical slasher fare and the only thing interesting about it is the gimmick of Duo-Vision, which originally intended for the movie to be screened on two separate side-by-side screens. It can be a bit confusing sometimes when there are two entirely different scenes playing out on each side of the screen, but somehow it works. Probably the most interesting aspect of the Duo-Vision in the movie is when characters are talking about something that happened on one side of the screen, while a flashback is shown on the other side of the screen. Wicked, Wicked is an oddity and should definitely be viewed as an example of an interesting gimmick that just never took off. 8 out of 10 beers.





And that wraps it up for the October Horror Movie Challenge. Here's a couple of fun facts for you:

A whopping 46% of the movies viewed were made in the last 5 years.

16% of the movies viewed were sequels or reboots.

9% of the movies viewed were about Bigfoot.

In my month of horror movie viewing, I witnessed 62 separate pairs of breasts.

My top picks for the month: Blood Harvest, Twisted Nerve, Don't Go In The Woods, The Poughkeepsie Tapes, Dead Snow 2, Horns

Avoid at all costs: Under The Skin, Leprechaun Origins, The Brain Machine, V/H/S: Viral, Caesar & Otto's Summer Camp Massacre, Hysterical Psycho

I learned this month that 75 movies is my absolute limit, unless I lose my job. There were a lot of bad movies, but there were also quite a few good ones. Overall, I had a blast. I don't think I'll do this again next year, but we'll see.

I've decided that from this point on I will be using a simplified six-beer rating system as a twelve-point scale is a bit too difficult to work with. I'll try to unveil that along with a new video nasty review sometime during November, then in December I will be premiering the 25 Days Of Horror. Each day leading up to Christmas, I will review a different Christmas-themed horror movie in no particular order. So look forward to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment