Thursday, October 16, 2014

October Horror Movie Challenge- Day 14

I unfortunately fell a bit behind and didn't get any movies in on day thirteen, but I got to see a King Diamond concert, so it was totally worth it. Because of my slacking however, I had to make sure that I got some extra movies in over the next couple days.


I decided to start day fourteen with something classy. I've never really been too into the Dark Shadows show, but I decided to give House Of Dark Shadows (1970) a shot and I was pleasantly surprised. House Of Dark Shadows is essentially a re-telling of the story from the TV show involving the vampire Barnabas Collins and his modern day descendants. It was a good, old-fashioned vampire flick with a few interesting twists and was a lot of fun. 9 out of 12 beers.





Next, I had a few short films based on Stephen King stories that I wanted to check out. Since none of them were longer than twenty minutes, I just decided to count all three as one movie.


Disciples Of The Crow (1983), based on King's short story "Children Of The Corn", was one that I had been wanting to check out for a few years. I've been a fan of both the short story and the movie version for a while and have always found the idea of 'He Who Walks Behind The Rows' especially creepy. Disciples Of The Crow was quite good and it's low budget gives it a creepier atmosphere than the movie version, but I still prefer Children Of The Corn. 6 1/2 out of 12 beers.

Next up was The Boogeyman (1982), based on the story of the same name. It concerns a distraught father talking to a psychiatrist about how he believes that his family is being terrorized by a monster that has resulted in the death of three of his children. Although brief, The Boogeyman provides some genuine tension and a bit of silliness, but is still pretty fun. 6 out of 12 stars.

Finally, I checked out The Lawnmower Man (1987). I had no idea that anyone had made a short film of this story and wondered how they had, considering the bizarre nature of King's short story. Unlike the 1992 film that King sued to have his name removed from, this short closely follows King's original story wherein a man hires an unknown lawn-mowing service to cut his overgrown lawn. When the lawnmower man arrives, the lawnmower runs itself while the naked man follows behind, eating the grass clippings left behind. This reminded me of something from one of the quirkier episodes of Tales From The Darkside or Monsters and was definitely interesting. 6 out of 12 beers.


I ended the night with Super Hybrid (2011), a surprisingly good flick about a sentient, shape-shifting, organic car that stalks and kills the mechanics in a parking garage while trying to make it's escape. It doesn't make a lot of sense, but with movies like this you just sort of have to go with it. Super Hybrid can definitely be a fun time, especially with booze and some friends. 7 1/2 out of 12 beers.


No comments:

Post a Comment