Sunday, October 19, 2014

October Horror Movie Challenge- Day 18


Zombie Cop (1991) was the first movie up on day eighteen. Did I expect it to be good? No, but I was pressed for time and it's only a little over an hour long. It felt much, much longer. When both the director and the writer disown a film and say that it should never have been released, you know it's bad. When a cop dies in a shoot-out with a drug-dealing, voodoo-practicing criminal named Dr. Death, he later rises from the grave and enlists the help of his partner to take down Dr. Death for good. Zombie Cop spends the majority of the film in bandages, so it might just as well have been called Mummy Cop. The concept is pretty great and could have been entertaining if it had been better executed, but it just became a boring mish-mash of chase scenes and bad dialogue. Zombie Cop might elicit some chuckles if you're viewing it with a few beers and friends, but I would stay away. 2 out of 12 beers.






Next up was a movie I'd been hearing good things about for a while, A Field In England (2013). Set during the 17th-century British Civil War, A Field In England concerns Whitehead, an alchemist's apprentice, who meets up with three other deserters in a field. On their way to find an ale house, they come across a rival alchemist named O'Neill whom Whitehead was sent to find and recover his master's stolen belongings from. The menacing O'Neill seizes control of the group to aid him in finding a buried treasure that is located in the field. A Field In England is slow-moving, but showcases a lot of fascinating visual effects and an intriguing but somewhat confusing story. I enjoyed it, but feel like it would benefit from another viewing at some point in the future. 8 1/2 out of 12 beers.

2 comments:

  1. Don't get your hopes up too much. I had to sit on it for a day before I decided I liked it. It's very cool, but it's also very obviously trying hard to be. I know nothing about the director, but from the movie I would say it's a safe bet that he's a pretentious douche. I think the stroboscopic sequences won me over.

    ReplyDelete