Saturday, October 11, 2014

October Horror Movie Challenge- Day 9


Day nine started with a good one. Twisted Nerve (1968) is a rather good psychological thriller about a young man named Martin who sets up an elaborate scheme, pretending to be a mentally challenged person named Georgie in order to get close to a young woman named Susan (Hayley Mills) that he's attracted to. He then tells his parents that he is taking a trip to France, when in actuality he has conned his way into the boarding house run by Susan and her mother. Under the alias of being in France, he then returns to murder his stepfather and we begin to realize that Martin is much more than just a clever con man. I really enjoyed this one and it's safe to say that it's currently my favorite of the month. Twisted Nerve's score by Bernard Herrmann (also whistled by Daryl Hannah in Quentin Tarantino's Kill Bill) does a great job of adding to the tension in the film and will also likely be stuck in your head for days afterward. 11 out of 12 beers.






Let me start by saying that the creature effects in Frankenstein's Army (2013) are amazing. They're incredibly creative and extremely well constructed. The rest of the movie is just another found footage excursion involving Russian soldiers in World War II that unknowingly follow a distress call straight into the lair of Dr. Frankenstein, who has been fusing together dead soldiers and machine parts. It's an interesting premise and the movie is worth watching for the effects alone, but I thought the rest of the movie was a bit boring and I found myself watching just to see the next zombot. 5 out of 12 beers.









Against my better judgement, I then watched Insidious Chapter 2 (2013). I actually really liked the first Insidious when it came out, but unfortunately it didn't hold up for me on multiple viewings and I have since grown to despise any trailer that starts with "From the people that brought you Insidious". It really wasn't a bad movie, I just don't think that it's the best thing to happen to horror in the past ten years. Insidious Chapter 2 does a good job of building on the first film by exploring the origins of the "Bride In Black". If you enjoyed the first Insidious, you'll almost certainly enjoy this one as well. I thought it was entertaining enough, but not something I plan on revisiting. 5 out of 12 beers.


No comments:

Post a Comment